Thursday, March 15, 2018

More on simplifying


First, in third period, I had to move pretty quickly through my mini-lecture on strategies for simplifying prose, so for anyone who would like to take a closer look at those tips and examples, here is the overhead I shared in class.

Also, there was a question in fifth period about nominalizations and examples of converting them back to verbs (or, in some cases, adjectives). This article by Helen Swords offers more detail about the ill effect of nominalizations (or “zombie nouns”) on prose, and she also gives some great examples. I’ve offered a word version I created as a handout for Nonfiction Writing, but you can also read the original article on the New YorkTimes website, if you prefer. You can even watch a graphic version created by TED-Ed, which I stumbled on today:





No comments:

Post a Comment